We asked our twin mom community for their biggest obstacles during the first 6 months of twin mom life. Everyone’s struggles are different – but as a twin mom, you have likely experienced something similar to these women. Remember that you are not alone. Here are the 16 most common answers.
1. Lack of sleep
It affected everything else in my life. I wasn’t able to think clearly and I had no patience. It was definitely my biggest obstacle.
2. Having 2 babies crying and having to pick one to sort out first
3. Having both babies wake up at the same time wanting to give them equal attention
4. Trying to breastfeed them both and feeling guilty when you can’t
I wish I could go back now and tell myself not to stress over that because they would turn out fine.
5. Not knowing how to connect with both.
I’m a first time mama and I feel like I’m just trying to keep afloat and I’m worried they think I don’t love them.
6. Feeling delirious from lack of sleep, desperation to have a second to myself, and then immediate guilt at wishing to do so
7. The guilt I felt to my eldest daughter because I couldn’t pay her all the attention she deserves
8. Not knowing if it was day or night or even the day of the week
I just knew how many hours it was until feeding time.
9. Getting them on a sleep schedule
10. Adjusting to going back to work
11. Maintaining a healthy relationship with my partner
12. People judging you for not breastfeeding
It’s frowned upon in my culture. It was my husband’s support that got me through it.
13. Letting people help me
14. Hormones! Postpartum depression
15. Trying to produce enough breast milk for both
16. Fending off unsolicited (and incorrect/dangerous) advice
The most common answer of all was “WAIT. People really remember the first 6 months? It’s a total blur” (lol).
Follow us on Instagram for more twin parenthood discussions.
Twin moms reveal the ultimate life hacks for managing twins or multiples.